Are you a Christmas Foodie?
Here’s your chance to find out. Grab a glass of something, put your feet up and play along. Or perhaps it’s a fun way to fill the time on the journey home.
We’d love to know your score, so please leave a comment. Thanks for playing and enjoy!
1. Why would you cook your Christmas meat in a Sous Vide?
- For a smokey, charred flavour – it’s an American Indian BBQ
- For evenly cooked, tender meat – it’s a water bath
- To reduce cooking time – it’s a super-fast grill
2. What is Mace?
- A herb from the chive family
- The dried outer casing of a nutmeg
- A seasoning made from wheat
3. What are Cloves?
- Seeds from an Indonesian bush
- The branch tips of the eucalyptus shrub
- Dried flower buds from an evergreen tree
4. What is a Marron Glace?
- A candied chestnut
- A Casis flavoured ice-pop
- A marrow glazed with honey and soy sauce
5. What is a porchetta?
- Traditional Italian peasant dish of unused parts of a pig boiled in stock with vegetables
- Traditional Italian rolled brisket of beef
- Traditional Italian pork dish, boneless and stuffed and rolled
6. Which country is famous for its’ festive smorgasbord?
7. What makes the ‘holes’ in honeycomb?
- Beating air into sugar and golden syrup
- Boiling the sugar mixture until it forms large bubbles
- Adding bicarbonate of soda to the sugar and golden syrup mix
8. What would turn your meek Christmas turkey into a fiery festive bird?
The others are Miso (Japanese, soya bean and salt mix) and Za’atar (thyme, sumac and sesame seeds)
9. Help! The avocado’s not ripe for my Christmas Day starter!
What shall I do?
- place it near a warm radiator
- Place it in a bag together with a banana
- Pop it into the airing cupboard
10. Which ingredient prevents royal icing from setting too hard?
- egg whites
11. What is a traditional bamkuchen?
- a German cake of many tiny layers
- something to place on your dining room chair
- a buttery, traditional Swedish pudding
12. What hides within the soft, fruity bread of a stollen cake?
- date paste
- chestnut puree
13. What is Angelica?
- a character from the Simpsons
- a cocktail flavouring
- a candied herb stem
14. How do you stop your home made pickled onions from going soft?
- par boil them, before rinsing and place into the vinegar
- soak them in salt water, before rinsing and place into the vinegar
- eat them quickly
15. What is cochineal?
- red food colouring made from insects
- a dome shaped chocolate pudding
- a rabbit stew
16. If cousin Tarquin is gluten intolerant (a coeliac), how can you thicken your gravy without using flour?
- substitute flour for cornflour
- substitute flour for rice flour
- substitute flour for arrowroot
17. What is a date?
- the dried fruit of a plum tree
- the dried fruit of a palm tree
- a spin round the Christmas ice-rink
18. Which describes a sultana
- a dried, “white”, oval seedless grape
- a dried moscatel grape
- a dried, dark red, seedless grape
The others are: 2. a dried moscatel grape (raisin) and 3. a dried, dark red, seedless grape (currant)
19. How do I stop my baked ham from being salty
- soak in plain water
- add honey and cloves to disguise it
- order one from Waitrose
20. What is a Turkey Ballotine
- Rolled, stuffed turkey breast
- Minced turkey meatballs
- Tinned turkey in gravy
Thanks for playing. So far Rolline Frewen is the office winner, with 19 out of 20. Fabulous score (she may have even pretended not to know the incorrect to help us mortals).
Can you beat 19/20? Give it a try.
MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE AND WE REALLY LOOK FORWARD TO WORKING WITH YOU IN 2017.
Follow my blog with Bloglovin